Cornerstone hosts a “Learn at Lunch” once a month where employees can sit in on and have lunch while engaging in different presentations. This month Cornerstone’s Cultural Architect, Scott Daniell, gave a presentation on Employee Engagement.


What is Employee Engagement

excellence

Employee engagement is a workplace approach designed to ensure that employee are committed to their organization’s goals and values, motivated to contribute to organizational success, and are able, at the same time, to enhance their own sense of well-being.


“Our goal is to create an engaged, high performing work culture at Cornerstone. We strive to better understand each person’s unique role in creating an engaged work environment where we all can thrive.”


Scott educated our employees on what it looks like to be an engaged employee. From this lunch and learn, we were able to define and distinguish the difference between:

Engaged

Loyal, committed, involved, driven, passionate, positive, pro-active, supportive

Not Engaged

May be productive but works within own comfort box, shows up only to do what they are need, less loyal

Actively Disengaged

Discouraging, negative, effecting others poorly, nagging, psychologically absent

engagement2

Scott continued to tap into employee engagement by describing the two areas of engagement, as “two sides of a coin”- Culture Fit side and Process Fit side.

Culture Fit side:

The right people on the bus, the people relationships, and core value alignment

Process Fit side:

Right people in the right seat, quality and quantity of work, skills, knowledge and talent alignment


One of the important attributes an engaged employee can practice is discipline. Different companies battle different wars and work towards different goals – but can use the same strategy to execute all of these obstacles.

discipline

Four Disciplines to Unlock Execution – Process Side

Discipline of Focus: The war we are trying to win

Instead of a team trying to focus on ten different goals at once – focus on one or two goals in order to effectively execute them one by one.

Discipline of Leverage: The battles we need to win, to win the war

Tackle each battle by accomplishing the small battles first in order to defeat the biggest ones – Focus on executing your teams’ lead metrics before you see the results of the lag metrics.

Discipline of Engagement: Scoreboard: How are we currently doing?

Keep a compelling scorecard – Excite yourself and your team to want to “win” and care about accomplishing your personal goals and team goals.

Discipline of Accountability: Winning together

Set goals with yourself and with your team – Build goals based off of personal strengths – Communicate your goals with your team and hold each other accountable in reaching those goals.


The Models

These employees meet all the criteria of an engaged employee – The models encourage, support, and motivate their team to meet goals – This would be the ideal employee, yet only 20% of employees practice this discipline.

The Middle

These employees need and want to work but only work within their personal comfort zone and primarily focus only on what they gain for themselves – The Middle employees are also considered “The Potentials” because of the high potential they have to develop into The Model – The Middle employees have discipline but do not practice it to their full ability – 60% of employees are The Middle.

The Resistors

These employees come off standoffish and actively unengaged – They have no desire to set personal goals or team goals – They constantly resist disciplining themselves in order to develop into the best they can.


What if a company could develop 50% of their “Middle” employees into “Models”?

What if a company could create a “Dream Team”?


51% of great work life has to do with just getting the work done, the other 49% is relationships and values. If those relationships work well together, high productivity will flow.

Get Engaged:

Basic Needs: Know what is expected of you at work with the right material and equipment in order to do your work right.

What do you give: Do the best you can every day with opportunities given, recognize and acknowledge others and yourself for doing good work, show how much you care, encourage each other’s development

Teamwork: Voice your opinions and listen to others, find importance in your job with a mission and purpose, motivate your team to do quality work, commit to relationships within your work

Grow: Reflect on your progress and praise others for their progress, tackle opportunities challenging you to learn and grow, invest in yourself while investing in others

engagement

Leave a Reply